Philippines: Street Impact Team
Sharing the Gospel and Compassionate Care with Street Children and their Families
ACTION sees street children
Street children can easily become invisible to people who see them every day. But daily in Manila, Philippines more than 75,000 children live, play, work, beg and sleep on the streets.1 They make their living by selling flowers or cigarettes; some watch cars, others sell their bodies or engage in crime. They often hang out in gangs and are found in commercial areas — especially where tourists are found. The cities of the Philippines have an estimated 1.5 million children living or working on the street. In Metro Manila, an estimated 4 million people live in squatter areas– locations where no one else wants to live. Squatters are among the poorest. Street children and their families are even poorer. Also tragically, there are an estimated 60,000 prostitutes under the age of 18 country-wide.
What is ACTION doing to bring hope to street children?
The ACTION Philippine Street Impact Team (SITeam) faces a seemingly overwhelming task of reaching street children for Christ. At times it seems as though this task is impossible. We are sometimes asked why we “waste” our time and money working with street children–it seems hopeless. But we believe there is hope–it is found in Jesus Christ.
What is ACTION’s vision for street children?
The SITeam vision is to ignite, encourage and strengthen churches — both in the Philippines and abroad — so that we together will love street children and spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ among them and their families, then see them lovingly nurtured in a church. SITeam has developed its entire ministry on this truth from the Bible: “the Gospel is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes” The Gospel is our starting and ending point and is proclaimed in all our activities.
What will you do?
Join us in reaching the street children of the Philippines for Christ through prayer, financial giving or joining our team. For further information on the work of ACTION SITeam, or to respond as God leads you, contact the ACTION office nearest you. See below for more information.
Street Impact Team Ministries Include
* Camping — grass, fresh air, lots of food , games, music and Bible teaching
* Street outreach — Visiting where street kids hang out and befriending them
* Training for workers — Equipping workers and churches in ministry
* Medical clinics — Free one-day medical clinics provided by volunteer doctors
* Networking — Fellowship for people working with street children
* Research — Learning how street children think and feel about live
* Christmas parties — Good food, gifts, music, games and lots of fun
* Supplemental feeding — Addressing the nutritional, health and spiritual needs of children and their families
* Sportsfest — An annual day of team building and healthy competition
* Materials development — Useful ministry tools such as evangelistic tracts, comic books and training materials for workers
* Disaster relief & development — Distributing relief goods when disaster hits, whether man-made or natural