- Lack of clearly defined boundaries – tasks are never done
- Workaholism — not mixing work and play properly
- Leadership/Servanthood tension.
- Time management problems
- Being too serious
- Administration overload
- Loneliness — no soul to soul relations
Warning signs of burnout:
- A belief that they are no longer effective as a worker in His harvest
- A sense that people have become obstacles
- A lack of interest in Bible reading and prayer
- Difficulty rebounding; fatigue
- A tendency to complain and to be irritable
- Withdrawal, sadness, sleep disturbance
- A sense of being unappreciated
- A sense of feeling isolated
- Despair that “the work” will never be finished
- Being impersonal with others
Disciplines to consider:
- Learn the art of relaxing.
- Take time to just sit with the Master and to read His Word, while you enjoy the quietness of His peace.
- Take regular time off in general. Even your creator took one day in seven to rest and you aren’t stronger or better than He is.
- Get proper exercise.
- Sleep the needed amount your body and soul need.
- Relax and learn to enjoy pure and complete silence.
- Join a small support group of your peers.
- Do “cognitive restructuring:” change your thinking – take a personal audit. Adjust inner values through internalizing the word of God.
- Do something fun. Laugh and relax!