Mexico: Canul Missions Internship
Q & A with ACTION missionary Gama Canul
1. What are some ministry tasks that you want the intern to accomplish while serving with you?
- Evangelism and discipleship of kids and teenagers
- Visitation of small churches in the Mayan villages and assisting with Sunday school
- Help organize and coordinate camps in Merida and out in the Mayan villages (Summer and Spring)
- Help lead VBS programs (Summer and Spring)
- Help facilitate Christmas activities (Winter)
2. What are some key lessons from your ministry and walk with the Lord that you want to impart to the interns to help them as they consider their own individual call to missions or vocational ministry?
- Learning to commune with God and helping interns develop a vibrant prayer life!
- How to share your personal testimony effectively in cross-cultural contexts
- Teaching interns to never stop sharing the Gospel!
- Encourage students to develop a heart for serving and train them in servant leadership
- How to be faithful in ministry despite challenges and setbacks
3. What criteria do you use to measure the effectiveness of an intern serving with you?
- Do they make time for daily communion with God?
- The intern’s attitude and steadfastness in serving and how they respond to challenges
- Availability and willingness to serve
4. What would a typical day look like?
On the weekends, interns will be visiting families of the kids and the teenagers in the morning, and in the afternoons they will spend time with locals to fellowship with them and disciple them.
During the week, interns would set up meetings with kids and teenagers to continue discipleship relationship and to visit their families. Tutoring and helping with school work could also be part of the ministry.
5. Please list specific skills an intern may expect to develop by the time the internship is completed.
- Service in any context and in all kind of communities with either kids, teenagers, or families.
- Becoming more comfortable sharing your personal testimony and the Gospel in cross-cultural contexts.
- Developing leadership skills and improving in their Spanish language skills!