USA: Technical Consultant
Job Description: Volunteer position for professionals in the IT industry who would like to volunteer their expertise via email, phone, video chat, or occasionally in person to Action International Ministries USA office. Seeking professional technicians at all skill levels and technical specialties.
Position: ACTS Technical Consultant of ACTION USA – TC
Number of Positions Available: Unlimited
Supervisor: ACTION Computer & Technical Services (ACTS) USA IT Director.
Status: Volunteer your time. This is not a paid position.
Location: Action International Ministries USA, Mountlake Terrace, WA or remotely by electronic means anywhere in the USA.
Approximate Hours of Service:
There is not hourly commitment for TCs. Volunteer to be reachable via any of the below methods.
- USA Office in person (if desired)
- video chat
Desired Commitment: 6 months minimum
Position Reposted: August 1, 2017
Get Involved: www.actioninternational.org/get-involved-today
Purpose of Position:
Non-profits and Christian mission agencies like ACTION do not have the ability to pay for a full IT staff. Most of ACTION USA’s IT staff known as ACTS are missionaries or volunteers. We rely on the kindness of IT professionals to share their technical knowledge and skills to accomplish the task of smooth operation of office servers and network infrastructure. Lead by the IT Director, the Technical Consultants would interact with all ACTS Staff respond via email or phone primarily to assist in maintaining and troubleshooting any technical challenges the ACTS staff faces.
Benefits of this Position:
If you are willing to take the time to complete our volunteer application and go through a standard background check you will be:
- Established as an official volunteer and important member of the ACTS support staff.
- Involved with advising techno-missionaries supporting the frontlines of spreading the Gospel, discipling believers, and supporting the work of ACTION missionaries worldwide.
- Optional Short-Term Trips: You may have opportunity to occasionally support ACTION missionaries abroad in person with their tech needs if you have/raise the funds to go.
Responsibilities by Priority:
- Respond to request from IT Director and ACTS Staff for technical assistance or knowledge for various aspects of IT. Each Technical Consultant specifies how they wish to be notified of assistance needed and may respond in their time. Once you accept a task or project you will do your best to respond to follow-up questions in a timely manner. This may involve:
- Cooperate with Systems Administrator and their staff to maintain databases, servers, and USA Office network.
- Cooperate with Missionary Helpdesk Manager and their staff to resolve issues facing our missionaries.
- Read and learn about new technologies on the horizon.
This is not required but you will have the option of going on ACTS Tech Trips. The trips are to implement technical solutions and provide maintenance or repair for technical equipment for ACTION members abroad. You will be asked if you can withstand the rigor of international travel and living overseas for short trips usually one week up to one month. If so, and you have the personal ministry funds to cover the cost of the trip, expect to support ACTION members worldwide with their tech needs.
Desired skill sets:
Experienced tech professionals in any area: web, email, phone, servers, databases, networking and so on.
Desired mindset: An understanding of
- why ACTION exists as a mission agency
- how IT can function in a nonprofit organization
- why Christians in IT are called to a high standard of obedience to copyright laws and avoidance of illegally obtained software or hardware.
A willingness to kindly teach ACTION members how to effectively use technology.
A heart for reaching out to those who do not know Christ and supporting fellow missionaries and other believers.
ACTS strives to provide the following services to ACTION Members:
- Acquire the appropriate hardware, software, or technical equipment for ministry needs.
- Setup and manage ACTION services, software, systems, and networks.
- Teach ACTION members how to use ACTION services, software, systems, and networks.
- Provide technology help and repair to ACTION members worldwide.
Action International Ministries (ACTION) is a global mission agency committed to sending multi-national missionaries who treasure Jesus Christ and minister His Gospel in word and deed, primarily to the poor.